The first day of school is just a few weeks away for some students so in the meantime, start diving into dorm-packing mode by putting together your college checklist. To help, we created a dorm room essentials guide that you may need to establish your home away from home as well as transform your space into a stylish spot for friends to hang out, lounge around, get some studying done, and (of course!) getting some zzz’s. We’ll make sure you have everything you need to move into your dorm or apartment and create an A+ college space!
Here’s a basic list of what to bring with you to college. It covers everything from bedding and kitchen to laundry and medicine.
Bedding: bed sheets, blankets, comforter, mattress pad, pillows, pillowcases, bedbug-protecting mattress cover, and sleeping bag
Kitchen & Dining: can opener, coffee maker, mini refrigerator, hot plate, microwave, broom, mini vacuum cleaner, toaster oven, cups, plates, utensils, dish soap, trash bags, paper towels, food storage containers, bag clips, wet wipes, water filter, blender, duster, dustpan, coffee mugs, travel mug, oven mitts, hand soap, plastic wrap, tin foil, sealable plastic bags.
Bath: bath towels, bath robe, bathroom cleaning supplies, bathroom rug, loofah, shower caddy, shower shoes, tumbler, shower cap, washcloths, shower curtain with rings, air freshener, hair dryer, curling iron
Room: alarm clock, wall posters, bulletin board and pushpins, bedside lamp, mini trashcan, storage bins, desk lamp, dry-erase wall calendar, area rug, closet organizer, futon, jewelry organizer, picture frames, space bags, under bed storage, hangers, shoe rack, beanbag/comfy chair, adhesive hooks and strips, stepladder, desk chair
School Supplies: binder, notebook, notebook paper, envelopes, folders, glue, paper clips, pens, pencils, pencil sharpener, pencil eraser, post-its, rubber bands, ruler, postage stamps, scissors, stapler, staples, staple remover, scotch tape, white out, three hole punch, waste basket, calendar, highlighter, calculator, index cards, textbooks, desk organizer, journal, portfolio case
Toiletries: bar soap, body wash, face wash, body lotion, acne cream, moisturizer, toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoo, conditioner, hair gel, hair mousse, hairspray, cosmetics/makeup, makeup remover, hair brush, eye glasses, eye drops, deodorant, cotton balls, dental floss, mirror, nail clippers, nail polish, q-tips, razor, shaving cream, sunscreen, toilet paper, tampons and pads, tweezers
Tech: computer, tablet, cell phone, cell phone charger, extension cords, mp3 player/ipod, speakers, television, corded phone with answering machine, video game consoles, batteries, camera, headphones, hdmi cable, flash drives, ethernet cable, Microsoft Office, printer, printer ink, surge protector, recording device for lectures, wireless mouse
Laundry & Cleaning: clothes hangers, bleach, laundry detergent, fabric softener, laundry bag or hamper, stain remover, garment bag, drying rack, iron, ironing board, lint brush, sewing kit, and quarters
Clothing: underwear, bras, socks, shirts/blouses, sweaters, pants/jeans, pants, light/heavy jackets, pajamas, slippers, gloves, scarves, hat, boots, sneakers, walking shoes, swimsuit, a pair of dress shoes, a set of business-casual clothes, purse, belts, going out clothes, going out shoes, jewelry, little black dress, rainboots, sweats, sweat pants, workout clothes, sports bra, tights, watch
Medicine: prescription medications, band aids, birth control, condoms/checks, cough drops, first aid kit, hot/cold packs, thermometer, vitamins, pain reliever, contact lens solution, cortisone cream, insect repellent, humidifier, vaseline
Documents: ID, copy of birth certificate, copy of social security card, credit card, debit card, passport, driver’s license, car registration and insurance forms, registration forms, financial aid forms, health/dental insurance cards, emergency contact list, bank documents, renter insurance
Miscellaneous: bicycle, bike helmet, bike lock, scooter, flashlight, duct tape, scotch tape, fan, light bulbs, tool kit, yoga mat, weekend bag, travel bag, umbrella, suitcase, safety pins, playing cards, board games, sleep mask, musical instruments, safety whistle, religious materials, backpack, sports equipment
Shop Dorm Room Essentials
Click through below to shop some of our favorite dorm room items that will glam up your dorm room.
Best Retailers for College Dorm Room Essentials
Below are the top places to find sales and deals on items listed in our college checklist!
- DormSmart – They provide students, parents, and schools with a selection of thousands of quality products for student living.
- Target– Spend $50 save $10, spend $100 save $25 on bed and bath with code COLLEGE + up to 20% off on college must haves!
- Walmart – Bedding starting at $39.98
- Urban Outfitters – Up to 70% off sale items
- PBteen – Up to 30% off bean bag chairs, up to 30% off backpacks, and up to 20% off desk, desk chairs + more!
- Amazon – Tons of savings on kitchen appliances, printers, mattresses, clothes, and more. Also include free 2 day shipping for college students.
- Kohls – $10 off your home purchase of $50 or more with code HOME10
Useful Websites for College Students
I created this list of useful college resources so you can get the most out of your undergrad experience.
- The College Shack– A leading online retailer that offer collegiate apparel.
- Campus Book Rentals– A textbook rental site for college students where you can save hundreds of dollars on books!
- Knetbooks– Another textbook rental site that is simple and easy to use.
- Greek Creations– They offer merchandise and gifts to Greek students and alumni.
- Grammarly– A service that makes you a better writer by finding and correcting up to 10x more mistakes than your word processor. Perfect for when you need to write college essays.
- Redshelf– An eTextbook software which makes learning materials affordable and easy to use!