Memorial Day is just around the corner and is the best time to bust out with summer recipes. Here’s a yummy and super healthy dish that is easy to pack for that summer kickoff party. Indulge in this yummy Quinoa, Avocado and Corn Salad recipe from New York Times best selling author, Kimberly Snyder.
The only pre-prep with this summer dish is to soak the quinoa overnight. Then finalize the rest of the recipe in the morning or early afternoon. It tastes great at room temperature, so it’s the perfect dish to bring to a barbeque, pool party, park or beach!
- 3 cups water
- 1 ½ cups dry quinoa
- Raw kernels or 2 ears of organic corn (preferably white, if available), shaved right from the cob
- 2 avocados, sliced and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 Tbs. finely chopped red onion
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 Tbs. Bragg Liquid Aminos or low-sodium tamari
- 1 Tbs. brown rice vinegar
*Be sure to soak the quinoa overnight in water and rinse well before using.
1. In a saucepan bring the water to a boil. Reduce the heat, add quinoa and simmer until the water is absorbed and the grains become translucent and soft (about 10 to 15 minutes). Pour the quinoa through a strainer and set it to the side in a bowl.
2. Blend all the dressing ingredients together in a blender until smooth, or simply add them to a small bowl and whisk well with a fork.
3. Add the kernels of corn to the quinoa, along with the avocado and chopped onion. Mix well. Pour the dressing on top of the mixture and mix well again.
This recipe is from Kimberly Snyder’s best-selling book, The Beauty Detox Foods.