For Spring 2013, Peter Som describes the collection’s concept as “women on the verge.” According to the designer, “The collection is all about an uptown/downtown clash – women who are a bit undone but still chic.” The overall theme reflects a darker take on his feminine, romantic woman, “she’s a little bit unraveled, but still put together.” Peter Som’s style aesthetic is well-known as classic clothing, with an eclectic twist – “she’s an uptown/downtown kind of girl.”
The Look: Classically Cool
Peter describes the beauty and hair look as “classic East Village cool girls – natural easy hair with touches of faded color with strong, bold, yet sophisticated eye colors.” For Eugene Souleiman, “this girl exudes an attitude – she’s unintentionally cool.” Inspired by the primal and unaffected beauties of downtown cool, these are the rich, bad girls who are naturally beautiful and don’t even try to look good because their idea of hot is not polished and prim. Hair is styled to look undone in a tousled texture, with patchy streaks of pastel hued extensions woven throughout to heighten punk rock edginess.
Wella Professionals Color Ambassador, Aura of NYC’s Sally Hershberger Salon, chose a haircolor palette inspired by a 2013 Wella trend that embodies futuristic luxury and clashing cultures. The two are married together in shades of precious mineral tones for a smoky, antique effect, such as tourmaline, amethyst, teal, denim, and dusty rose. This look is the next iteration of the punky, pastel trend she trailblazed with the rosegold streak from the Spring 2012 Peter Som show, which then evolved into dip-dyeing and ombre pastel interpretations. Aura custom colored the natural hair extensions with Wella Professionals color and finished the extensions with the brand NEW ILLUMINA Color line, a permanent color that delivers translucent, luminous results while protecting hair health.
Get the Look:
- Wash and condition hair using Wella Professionals Brilliance shampoo, conditioner, and treatment to preserve the brilliant shade and shine of color-treated hair.
- Towel dry and apply Wella Professionals Velvet Amplifier, which primes hair for a smooth finish.
- Allow hair to air dry for natural texture or loosely blow-dry with hands to achieve the tousled effect.
- Part hair in the middle and insert extension pieces throughout for desired amount of color.
- Lightly mist Wella Professionals Ocean Spritz throughout the hair to create texture in the hair.
- Twist hair into a loose low bun and secure with a clip, allowing the hair to set for a loose wave effect once the clip is removed and hair is hand combed to loosen the waves.
- For the finishing touch, rub a dime size amount of Wella Professionals Texture Touch between the palms of hand and then gently massage onto the top of the hair in areas where added texture and roughness is desired.