Sugar-Free Breakfast: Sweet Potato Granola Recipe
Since the start of the new year, I’ve been feeling super motivated to stay active and eat healthy this winter. Plus bathing suit season is just a few months away which is always a good motivator to stay on top of my goals. So, I make sure to start the day off right with a healthy a.m. meal. Today, I’m sharing this healthy sugar-free breakfast recipe from nutritional therapist and star of ITV’s Sugar Free Farm Angelique Panagos.
Nothing will get you up and moving in the morning like this crunchy and delicious bowl of granola! This super healthy grain-free, dairy-free and sugar-free breakfast recipe is packed with the natural goodness and protein of nuts and seeds and the blood sugar balancing properties of cinnamon – guaranteed to keep you going until lunch time.
Sugar-Free Breakfast: Sweet Potato Granola
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1½ cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup chia seeds
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2tbsp flaxseed ground
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- ½ cup / 60g coconut oil melted
- 1tbsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup sweet potato puree
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
Sweet Potato Puree
- 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Pinch of salt
Sweet Potato Puree
- Preheat oven to 200°C / 400°F / Gas Mark 6.
- Rub the sweet potato chunks with olive oil and salt
- Bake in the oven until tender – about 30-35 minutes.
- Once cooked purée with a stick/hand blender (or mash well by hand) and leave to cool.
- Once cool, store in one-cup batches in the freezer (in zip-lock bags or containers).
- Preheat the oven to 180C, gas mark 4.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper/ baking sheet.
- In a large bowl combine coconut flakes, almonds, nuts and seeds.
- In a blender, combine the sweet potato puree, coconut oil and cinnamon.
- Add the puree to the dry ingredients and stir until dry ingredients are thoroughly coated.
- Spread the granola in a thin layer on the baking sheet.
- Cook for 40 minutes stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
Serve with coconut milk or almond milk and toppings of:
- Grated apple and cinnamon
- Nut butter and berries
- Berries and coconut yogurt
About Angelique Panagos
As a nutritional therapist Angelique provides expert advice to enable you to make the lifestyle changes and consume the foods and nutrients required to help you optimize your metabolism and promote wellbeing and quality of life. Her approach is hands-on and personal. For more information about her work and to book a consultation, please visit her website: www.angeliquepanagos.com.
How long will this keep fresh for, can’t wait to make it.