A facial mask is a perfect way to revive your skin after a long week at the office. I do enjoy shopping for a face mask but every once in a while, I prefer to make my own. Whenever I’m in DIY beauty mode, I always reach for these three ingredients: bentonite clay, turmeric and Dead Sea mineral salt. I get so many wonderful benefits from all three and I feel good knowing I’m putting good, all-natural ingredients on my skin.
You too can create the ultimate face mask at home. Here are 3 DIY face masks I create often for healthy, glowing skin.
DIY Face Masks
What is Bentonite Clay?
Calcium bentonite clay is a type of absorbent clay that forms from aged volcanic ash. It has positive charged ions that get rid of negatively charged ions in the skin. Hence, it is a powerful ingredient that detoxifies your skin after exposure to harmful chemicals.
Some of the important benefits of using bentonite clay include:
- Helps heal acne
- Removes harmful toxins from your skin
- Softens the skin
- Exfoliates the skin and removes debris, oil and dead skin cells
- Unclogs pores and shrinks them
- Has antibacterial properties
DIY Face Masks: Bentonite Clay Mask
- 1 tbsp of bentonite clay
- 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp of honey
Mix the ingredients together using non-metal container and utensil. Metal reacts to the bentonite clay and activates it prematurely. Mix well until you get a yogurt-like consistency. Apply a thin layer on the skin, leave it on for 15-20 minutes and wipe it off with a damp cloth.
What is Turmeric?
Turmeric is a spice that is derived from a plant belonging to the ginger family. It is commonly found in India, but is also cultivated in other countries in Asia and Central America. The root of the turmeric plant is harvested, dried and powdered to bring you the yellow-orange spice.
Turmeric provides a variety of health benefits. It’s usually used in tea to aid in curing health conditions such as joint pain, arthritis, and fatigue. Because of its healing properties, it is also commonly used in skincare products.
What are the Skincare Benefits?
When taken internally, as tea or supplement, turmeric helps in overall body health, including skin health. When applied topically as a turmeric mask, it can:
- Protect the skin against sun damage
- Prevent signs of skin aging
- Sooth dry skin
- Reduce and prevent skin irritation
- Heal and prevent acne
- Brighten the skin immediately after use
- Even the skin tone
- Help cure inflammation caused by acne and other skin conditions
- Reduce the appearance of dark circles and puffiness under the eyes
To create a potent facial mask, you can add bentonite clay, turmeric, apple cider and olive oil together. This powerful recipe has a ton of health benefits to the skin, reduce aging signs, and provides you with fresher and clearer skin.
DIY Face Masks: Turmeric Face Mask
- 1 tbsp of bentonite clay
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp of olive (or coconut oil)
When mixing the ingredients together, make sure to use non-metal container and utensil. Use gloves to avoid getting stained hands. Mix well until you get a yogurt-like consistency. Apply a thin layer on the skin, leave it on for 15-20 minutes and wipe it off with a damp cloth.
What is Dead Sea Mineral Salt?
Dead Sea mineral salt is rich in essential vitamins and minerals and can be used to heal the skin. These minerals include magnesium, sulfur, calcium, sodium, potassium, bromide, and iodine. According to medical research, it is beneficial to the skin, hair and nails.
What are the skincare benefits?
Dead sea salt contains minerals that provide a lot of skincare benefits on their own. Here are some of the benefits you can take advantage of:
- Magnesium heals tissues
- Sulfur accelerates hair growth and disinfects the skin
- Potassium provides hydration to the skin
- Zinc cures acne and prevents future breakouts
- Bromide cleanses the skin and freshens it
- Calcium helps regulate the production of sebum
- Studies confirm that Dead Sea salt induces healing of skin diseases like psoriasis
- Fights against skin aging
- Helps battle cellulite by detoxifying the skin
DIY Face Masks: Dead Sea Mud Mask
- 1 tsp of dead sea mineral salt
- 2 tsp of bentonite clay
- 1 tbsp of plain greek yogurt
- 2-3 drops tea tree oil
Mix ingredients together using non-metal container and utensil. Add a little water at a time until you get a yogurt-like consistency. Apply a thin layer to the skin and leave it for 15-20 minutes. Rinse well with warm water.
With the above-mentioned ingredients, you can create powerful DIY face masks. Bentonite clay, Turmeric and Dead Sea mineral salt are all-natural ingredients proven to provide skincare benefits. Now you have valuable recipes for skincare that you can share with your friends and family.
Liked this post? Then check out, 50 Amazing Homemade Skin Care Recipes