This homemade coconut oil and honey hair mask is super simple to do and it takes less than 5 minutes to prepare it. It’s a must try for those with dry, damaged hair. It will make your hair soft, shiny, and smooth, but it will help your hair grow too.
Homemade Coconut Oil & Honey Hair Mask
Here’s What You Need:
- 1 tbsp 100% Organic Unrefined Coconut Oil
- 1 tbsp of Raw Honey
- 1-2 drops of lavender essential oil (optional)
- Mixing Bowl
- Shower Cap (optional)
Note: In the pictures, I used a bigger batch and stored the leftovers. For bigger batches, use 4 tbsp of coconut oil and raw honey. Add 3-4 drops of your favorite essential oil. Store remainder in a tightly sealed container.
Step 1. Mix coconut oil, honey, and lavender essential oil in a small mixing bowl by stirring with a small spoon. If your hair is really long, just add a bit more of each ingredient.
Step 2. Apply mixture to your hair in four sections. Your hair can be wet or dry but I always found it easier on wet hair. Grab a towel and wrap around your neck to protect your clothes. Start sectioning from the bottom and work your way up to the top. Also, be sure to focus on the ends of your hair since that’s where you see the most damage.
Step 3. Pin your hair up and let the mask soak in for about 35-40 minutes. If you have longer hair, put your hair in a bun. While you wait, read a magazine, paint your nails or catch up on one of your shows.
Step 4. Rinse your hair and then follow up with your usual shampoo and conditioner routine.
That’s it! Easy, peasy…right? Now you’ll have soft and healthy looking hair again.
Tips & Tricks
- Use raw and organic ingredients for better results.
- Since coconut oil melting point is 77 degrees Fahrenheit, make sure it’s cooler than 77 degrees Fahrenheit but not too solid.
- If your raw honey has crystallized, heat a pan of water in low heat. Remove the pan from the stove and place the honey jar inside the warm water. Make sure to remove the lid. Wait a few minutes for the honey to soften. Once its back to its liquid state, put the lid back on and shake the jar.
- The lavender essential oil is completely optional. I chose this particular essential oil because it’s my personal favorite. When massaged on the scalp, it can improve blood circulation, prevent hair loss, and promote hair growth. If lavender is not your cup of tea, then you can also try rosemary, ylang ylang, or sage essential oils.
Have you tried this diy coconut oil and honey hair mask? Share your thoughts by commenting below!