Eating healthy in college especially on a budget can be difficult. That’s why I’m sharing some of my favorite healthy college meals that are easy to make as well as stores that will help you find affordable groceries that are healthy.
I remember my times in college and how intimidated I was with cooking. Thankfully, I had roommates to learn from and were patient with me when whipping up meals. The transition from mom’s cooking to dorm cooking was rough in the beginning especially when it came to budgeting for myself.
Where to Shop
I eventually managed to stick to a $50 a week budget and that’s due to learning how to shop smart, knowing which grocery stores have better prices on certain foods and produce, buying in bulk and taking advantage of sales.
Here is a list of grocery stores to buy cheap healthy food:
- Trader Joe’s: It will forever be my #1 store. I get just about everything from here. The price is always right especially the packaged foods in the frozen section.
- 99 Cents Store: I love to come here for produce: avocados, bananas, onions, tomatoes, and so on. I also like to purchase snacks and packaged foods from here too.
- Costco: You’ll need a Costco membership but it’s so worth. There’s no better place to get bulks of water bottles, oatmeal, bread, paper towels and etc.
- Walmart: Everything in Walmart is always a bit cheaper than it’s competitors like Target including their groceries.
- Aldi: I recently started shopping here and I was amazed at all the inexpensive options.
- Local Stores: Going to my local Ralph’s or Whole Foods can still be a win when you shop during their sales. Whenever Ralph’s has Jennie O ground turkey on sale at $2.49 (reg. $4.49+), I always stock up because they don’t have a limit.
Healthy College Dorm Meals
I’m sharing some of the best healthy college meals you can eat in your dorms. There’s no preparation with a lot of these meals and many of them can be cooked in the microwave, which is perfect for those who don’t have a stove.
1. Avocado Deviled Eggs
2. Healthy Chocolate Overnight Oats
Healthy College Microwave Meals
These healthy college microwave meals are perfect for when you need to whip up something fast!
3. Microwave Scrambled Egg Cups
4. Cinnamon Maple French Toast In A Mug
5. Microwave Cauliflower Fried Rice
6. 5. Microwave Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
7. Microwave Fettuccine Alfredo in a Mug
recipe via Kimspired DIY
8. Spinach Ricotta Lasagna In A Mug
9. Microwave Egg Sandwich
10. Microwave Pizza Bread
11. Cookie Dough Microwave Oatmeal
12. Shrimp Ramen
Healthy Recipes For College Students In Apartments
These healthy college meals are more for those who live in an apartment or have an apartment-style dorm. They require a stove and/or oven to cook.
13. Three Ingredient Banana Oat Pancakes
14. Spinach Avocado Breakfast Quesadilla
15. Broccoli Rice Casserole
16. Turkey Taco Salad Bowls
17. Ten Minute Quesadilla
18. Five Ingredient Spinach Parmesan Zucchini Noodles
19. Four Ingredient Caprese Pasta Salad
20. Quinoa Fried Ground Beef and Broccoli
21. Healthy Tuna Pasta Salad
22. Five Ingredient Vegetarian Taquitos
23. Five Ingredient Lemon Chicken With Asparagus
24. Healthy Egg White Muffin Cups
25. Turkey Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Healthy College Meals On A Budget
Some of my favorite healthy college meals on a budget. You can enjoy these as a snack and they’re very filling.
26. Avocado Turkey Hummus Wrap
27. Banana Peanut Butter Wrap
28. Sweet Potato Bagel Chips
What’s a meal without dessert. Whip up a quick dessert in your dorm room with anyone of these healthy recipes. In fact, you’ll find many can be enjoyed straight from a mug.
29. One Minute Keto Mug Brownie
30. Cinnamon Roll Mug Cake
31. Banana Mug Cake
32. Four Ingredient Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Bites
33. Healthy Apple Crisps
Liked this post? Then check out: 16 Easy Recipes You Can Make In Your Dorm Room