Kentucky Derby Recipe: Mint Julep Lemonade
I’ve attended a Kentucky Derby event in the past and I loved getting all dressed up and sipping mint juleps with friends while watching the race. I definitely enjoyed this classic drink and with the Kentucky Derby just around the corner, I thought it would be fun to make an alcohol-free version of this Southern beverage. The combination of this fresh mint with the citrus lemonade is the perfect refresher for all you non-drinkers out there.
- 8 & 1/4 cups of water
- 1 pkt. (2 quartz) of Crystal Light Lemonade Flavor Drink Mix
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 2 cups of crushed ice
- lime slices and fresh mint sprigs, for garnish
To Make the Drink:
- In a small saucepan, combine 1/4 cup of water, sugar and 1 tablespoon of chopped mint. Stir and bring to a boil. Cook until sugar has dissolved, then remove from heat and set aside to cool. After about an hour, strain out mint leaves.
- Add 8 cups of water to Crystal light drink mix in a 2-qt pitcher. Stir until mix is dissolved
- Serve immediately over crushed ice and top with a splash of the sugar syrup. Garnish each cup with a mint sprig and lime slices.
Along with this mint julep recipe, I wanted to tell you about a great sweepstakes, tissue brand Cottonelle has put together.
Cottonelle is a sponsor for the Kentucky Derby and their products will help you get clean and fresh while at the race. The Cottonelle Fresh Care Flushable Cleansing Cloths are perfect and small enough to toss in your purse.
The Cottonelle Great Finish Sweepstakes is a giveaway that will reward Americans with a year supply of Cottonelle products should the No. 1 and No. 2 positioned racehorses place in that order during the Kentucky Derby.
People looking to get in on the action can sign up at the Cottonelle website. The first 15, 000 entrants to sign up will be awarded a year’s supply of Cottonelle toilet paper and flushable cleansing cloths if the outcome aligns.
Adapted from: Allrecipes
Disclosure: Thank you to Cottonelle for sponsoring today’s story, and giving my readers this awesome sweepstakes opportunity.